Tuesday, January 29, 2013


“HE IS REALLY HERE!”
LUKE 4: 14-21 (NRSV)  

I was doing some cleaning at the office this past week and came across a rolled up sealed scroll that must have been written by one of St. Paul’s church’s first pastors. Inside was written:

“At a point in the time to come a short, balding, heavyset, bearded man will lead this church as pastor. He will proclaim a message which will solve all your problems, overcome your difficulties, and physically make you all feel wonderful. Through this man God will bless all of you. Listen to him.”

Well I want to let you know that I am the man that pastor predicted would come! Maybe I should find a tower somewhere like Jimmy Swaggert and climb it and not come down until you give me a lot of money!

Now that I have your full attention, I want you to know this isn’t true about me -- Can you imagine how you’d react if I actually claimed it was true? BUT did you know that it did happen to Jesus. Then imagine what the Jews felt when Jesus said it was true about him. Listen to the Gospel Message:

Then Jesus, filled with the power of the Spirit, returned to Galilee, and a report about him spread through all the surrounding country. He began to teach in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.

When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, as was his custom.

He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written; “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor, He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the repressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” 

And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. Then he began to say to them, “Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing,”   

Jesus fulfilled at least 300 Old Testament prophecies on His way to the cross. How people continue to doubt who and what He is remains the greatest mystery of humankind. As we journey with Him let us seek out and hold to His promises and realities. Do not doubt or hesitate to see His presence among and around us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment